Networking ~ peer to peer

Hi,

I am preparing to put Debian 2.1 on a AMD K6 200.  I intend to
leave windows on a 6g HDD and have a second 2g HDD which I will
use for slink.

Currently I have an ethernet 10 base T connection I use to
connect directly to an ethernet PCMCIA card in an ACER laptop.
No hub, I use a crosslinked cable.  I works well in Win98

I am looking at 7.13 ``Configure the Network''  in the
installation manual (which looks great!)

http://debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-init-config.en.html#s-configure-network

> If you are connected to a network, you'll need the
> information you collected from Information You Will
> Need, Section 3.2. However, if your primary connection
> to the network will be PPP, you should choose NOT to
> configure the network.

Does my current network count?  Or would i be better to do it
after installation.  Will I actually need Linux on both machines
to set up the network?  I am happy to leave it for now, but would
simply like to know if I can act now to avoid traps later.

If I do need to set something up in the base install, is there
somewhere I could get more understanding of that, Section 3.2 is
not quite enough for me... it still assumes I know more than I
do.

Thanks

Walter

Walter Logeman  walter@psybernet.co.nz  http://www.psybernet.co.nz