Re: Networking ~ peer to peer

>> "Walter" == Walter Logeman <walter@psybernet.co.nz> wrote:

Walter> Currently I have an ethernet 10 base T connection I use to
Walter> connect directly to an ethernet PCMCIA card in an ACER laptop.
Walter> No hub, I use a crosslinked cable.  I works well in Win98

>> If you are connected to a network, you'll need the information you
>> collected from Information You Will Need, Section 3.2. However, if
>> your primary connection to the network will be PPP, you should
>> choose NOT to configure the network.

Walter> Does my current network count?  Or would i be better to do it
Walter> after installation.

You can do this step. Well, of cause you can cofigure it later, but
you would have to set up the proper configuration lines later, because
there is no UI available to do this later.

The warning about PPP systems is there, because if you specify a
gateway in the net (to reach some other nets), it will be set as a
default route through this gateway. This is bad if you want to dialout
to the internet, as in this case, the default route should point to
your ppp link.

So in your case, say "yes" to configuring the net. The default answers
should work for you.

Walter> Will I actually need Linux on both machines to set up the
Walter> network?

No. But you need to install TCP/IP on the Windows box.

Walter> If I do need to set something up in the base install, is there
Walter> somewhere I could get more understanding of that, Section 3.2
Walter> is not quite enough for me... it still assumes I know more
Walter> than I do.

Network Administrator's Guide at
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/LDP/nag/nag.html maybe.
Ciao,