Re: Setting email message width in mutt

On Sat, Jul 24, 1999 at 04:47:00AM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 07:16:59PM -0400, Frisco Rose wrote:
>
> > I have been following the thread  Re: A Pet Peeve about posting on the lists
> > and decided to try using mutt instead of pine to read my email. However I cannot
> > seem to find a way to set the default line length when composing a message.
>
> mutt has nothing do with this - it's your editor that composes the post.
>
> > man vim
>
> This just documents the command line syntax, instructs you to use :help
> within the program, which gets you details on how to make the program
> work.  What you want is to say ":set tw=76" or whatever length you wish
> within vim.  To make this the default for all vim sessions, put the
> command (without the :) in a file called ~/.vimrc.
>
> mutt simply uses the default editor - you can change this using the
> alternatives system.

I use elvis as my mutt editor, and I've found that the simple way
to set wordwrap is to add a line to ~/.muttrc like:

     set editor="vi -c 'set tw=70'"

I don't know if this particular syntax would work for vim, but the
man page should tell you.  I set it up this way because I only want
word wrapping set on (by default) for email messages.

HTH,
Mike

[Private mail welcome, but no need to CC: me on list replies.]

--
Michael Merten -- ironfoot@popaccount.com
          ---> NRA Life Member -- http://www.nra.org