Re: Setting email message width in mutt

On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 07:16:59PM -0400, Frisco Rose wrote:

> I have been following the thread  Re: A Pet Peeve about posting on the lists
> and decided to try using mutt instead of pine to read my email. However I cannot
> seem to find a way to set the default line length when composing a message.

mutt has nothing do with this - it's your editor that composes the post.

> man vim

This just documents the command line syntax, instructs you to use :help
within the program, which gets you details on how to make the program
work.  What you want is to say ":set tw=76" or whatever length you wish
within vim.  To make this the default for all vim sessions, put the
command (without the :) in a file called ~/.vimrc.

mutt simply uses the default editor - you can change this using the
alternatives system.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/