Re: apt-get bails with this error...

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Mark Wagnon wrote:

> I was installing upgrading one of my machines to potato, and
> apt-get did what I thought was its business, but it seemed too
> short of a period of time for it to finish. I did an apt-get
> upgrade (assuming I was officially at the potato level) and
> apt-get gives me this:
>
>    E: Size mismatch for package fdflush
>
> I re-installed fdflush by hand, but that didn't work. Any ideas?
> Should I try to install a package from another mirror?

This will only happen if APT went to download a package and what it
downloaded was the wrong size - ie your mirror is busted. If you run
apt-get again then it will perform a resume operation, assuming that the
mirror you are using is in the process of downloading it.

Otherwise use another mirror - you may or may not have to erase
/var/cache/apt/archives/partial/* by hand - it depends on what was wrong
with your mirror and what apt version you are using. (0.3.11 will recover
fully if you run it enough times ;>)

Jason