Re:dselect error message

*- On 23 Jul, paul.walton@dial.pipex.com wrote about "Re:dselect error message"
> On 22 Jul, Brian Servis wrote:
>> *- On 22 Jul, paul.walton@dial.pipex.com wrote about "dselect error message"
>>> I originally installed the base debian packages from cd and when
>>> everything seemed ok I connected via the apt option to the default serv
>>> er (debian.org I think) in order to get Netscape amongst other things.
>>> However dselect stops at the install stage telling me that
>>> /var/cache/apt/archives/ is full. what should I do?
>>>

>> Sounds like your /var partition is full.  What does 'df -m /var' say?
>> You need to either increase the size of the /var partition or symlink
>> /var/cache/apt to another partition with more room.  The later is the
>> quick and easy solution.
>>
>> cd /var/cache
>> mv apt /path/to/partition/with/room
>> ln -s /path/to/partition/with/room/apt apt
>>

> Thanks for the reply.
> df -m /var gives me:
>
> "Filesystem         MB-blocks    Used Available Capacity Mounted on
> /dev/hda1                 47      35        9     80%   /"
>
> When I partitioned the drive (a 1.6gb) I only made a small root
> partition, a swap partition and a main partition. I don`t mind
> re-installing at this stage so would re-partitioning be the better
> option and if so what would be adequate partition sizes for the
> foreseeable future use of the machine? I`d prefer the better option to
> the easier one although please realise that I`m a bit of a newbie so
> keep it simple! :-)

Not sure what your destinction is between root and main, what does 'df
-m' show?  For a single user home machine on one drive I would suggest
the following partitions.

/            hda1
swap         hda2
/home        hda3
/usr/local   hda4

As for the size realize that / will get all the system files. If you
are going to run X and large apps like netscape give your self a
healthy swap, maybe 2x mem.  Set the size of /home and /usr/local to
appropriate sizes based on what you expect to use them for.  If you
will be installing a lot of non-Debian software then give /usr/local
enough room to grow.

It is a good idea to keep /home and /usr/local on separate partitions
in case you need to reinstall.  That way you will not loose your files
that Debian does not touch. Put swap in the middle of the drive so that
the drive head doesn't have to travel as far during a swap. Others will
have their own opinions of course.

For /usr/local you will have an empty directory called local under the
/usr directory to use as a mount point. An entry in /etc/fstab of
the following will automatically mount the /usr/local/partion at boot.

/dev/hda?   /usr/local   ext2   defaults  0   2

--
Brian