Re: A Pet Peeve about posting on the lists

>> "Steve" == Steve Lamb <morpheus@rpglink.com> wrote:

Steve> I don't think people reply to any ol' message to create a new
Steve> message, but are replying to a message and were courtious
Steve> enough to change the subject and now someone is bitching about
Steve> it.

No, this is usually not the case. Just look at these articles.

O  =[   118: Cheshire            ] PPP Connection Problems
O       [    20: John Hasler         ]
R  =    [    37: egm2@jps.net        ]
R  =        [    22: Michael Mitchell    ] (newbieQ) Installing X
R               [    87: Raymond A. Ingles   ] SCSI, IDE, and LILO, oh my!

These are a ppp thread and two completely unrelated questions.

The problem is not so much for the one reading debian-user, but for
the one posting a question.

When I enter this group, all threads show collapsed. If the title
looks uninteresting, I mark the thread as read.

So I won't even see these unrelated postings.

"Linux sucks, Debian sucks, you suck. Noone answered me."

Not kidnaping existing threads is for the benefit of the one posting
the question, not of the one giving the answer.

Ciao,
	Martin