Re: Suggestion for Newbie Guide Lines (ITP)

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 09:32:34AM +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> I think I posted a response to this already, but if not here it is.
> >From a newbie point of view, the actual root of the problem
> faced by newbies in trying to come to grips with any unix
> based operating system is NOT that there is insufficient
> documentation ... but rather that there is TOO MUCH,
> and that the vast majority of that has been written by experts
> FOR experts !!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Will  someone PLEASE get the message that the present
> format of MAN, HOWTO, and other stuff is NOT intelligible
> to the majority of newbies, and that is why there are so many
> postings on stuff regarded as trivial by experts !!!!!!!!!!!

I agree.  In fact, here is something I sent to Patrick offline
yesterday in response to a list of items to be included.

I would welcome any suggestions at all.  We had taken the discussion
about the content and structure of newbie-doc off the list, but it
seems the list is still interested.  I suggest that those who would
like to be involved in this more permanently let me know, and I'll
start constructing a "mini-list" that we can fall back to when the
interest dies down on debian-user.

					-Michael

Snip from my mail to Patrick:

All of these sound great.  My thoughts have mostly been about
structure.  Most of the info that any newbie will ever need already
exists, but

1) they aren't aware that it exists

2) they don't know where it is

3) It's too technical or too big

What do you think about:

a) using html  (this would help us -- we'd just mirror each other)

b) having a table of contents and index ( <- index might be hard )

c) trying to keep the documentation very short (ideally a page or
       less) and step by step, with links to more complete info.