Good HTML editor for debian Linux?

Hello,

  I'm just curious what people are using to write HTML with on Debian,

The available editors ive tried so far all seem *so* clunky and unsuited
to the task...  cut and paste works irregularly if at all, no facilities
for previewing.. etc.  Am I missing some obvious choice? Ive used
Gxedit, nedit, thisedit, thatedit..

Basically what I'm looking for is a workhorse editor that I can use as
my main HTML tool.

Is there anything Linux-friendly with anything approaching the feature
set of the program that I am used to, BBEdit on the Power Macintosh...

Any suggestions are welcome..  I'm also looking for HTML template and
preprocessor solutions...

****Thank you!*****

Chris Beaumont
cbeaumon@msri.org