Re: giving gnome a try

Thanks for all the comments so far.  So far it looks like the way to
go is to install gnome and use Window Maker.
It would be nice if downloading gnome would suggest that Window Maker
or some other compatible Window manager.  I attempted to use gnome,
then decided to download Window Maker.
Now I am facing a weird problem.  Somewhere along the line, Window
Maker wanted to get rid of parts of gnome and I let it, assuming that
I can reinstall it like I did last night.  Now when I try to install
gnome-desktop, I get dependency errors.
task-gnome-desktop wants esound
esound tells me :
Depends: libesd0 (= 0.2.10-0.19990424.0.1.slink.1) but
0.2.10-0.19990424.6.2 is installed

Where am I supposed to find the exact version of libesd0
(0.2.10-0.19990424.0.1.slink.1) that esound wants?  It doesn't seem
to exist on the debian archives.  I looked in both stable and
unstable.

jmb