Re: giving gnome a try

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 10:23:13PM -0500, JonesMB wrote
> I am tired of FVWM95 and its apparent limitations and lack of new
> development so I am ready for a new window manager.  Plus I wanna try
> something new and maybe break my system :-)

WindowMaker is nice.

> I am currently downloading gnome as I type this.  I considered KDE
> and settled on gnome.  I am getting it from ftp.cybertrails.com using
> apt.  This is my first attempt at downloading with apt rather than
> dselect and it wasn't that hard.  The install page says I should
> apt-get update then apt-get install task-gnome-apps task-gnome-net so
> that's all I am doing.
>
> All you gnome users out there, if there are any "gotchas" you think I
> should know please let me know via private email.  I am in digest
> mode so it could take a while before I see responses to the list.  I
> am also going to download the gnome documentation from www.gnome.org.

If you're getting them from gnome-stage-slink, be warned: when I downloaded
them, one of the packages there (wmaker_*, I think) had a 'hidden'
dependency (i.e., it depends on a library but it isn't listed as a
dependency); you may have to add 'libwraster2' to the apt-get
command line, or wmaker may not run.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au