Re: Questions after recompiling kernel

David Wright wrote:

> Quoting Stuart Ballard (sballard@netreach.net):
> > I just compiled kernel 2.2.10 on my potato machine. This is the first
> > time I've ever compiled a kernel, so these questions are probably
> > elementary, but I can't find the right docs anywhere...

[Snipped question about providing startup parameters to "ne" module when
it's NOT a module]
> I think you need "append" in your boot parameters (depending on
> which way you boot). I prefer my NIC as a module as very occasionally
> it gets its interrupts in a twist and can then be reloaded.

I recompiled and made it a module this time. No problems now. Thanks :)

[Snipped question about startup errors]
> It's /etc/modules which needs emptying.

This worked too - thanks much :)

Just one more question... I still get the notorious "SIOCADDRT: Invalid
argument" error on bootup. I've read all over the place that the
solution to this is to comment out the "route add -net" line in
/etc/init.d/network. However, I already did this, and I still get the
message. Any ideas, anyone?

Still, everything seems to be working great now, so thank you for all
your help :)

Stuart.