Questions after recompiling kernel

I just compiled kernel 2.2.10 on my potato machine. This is the first
time I've ever compiled a kernel, so these questions are probably
elementary, but I can't find the right docs anywhere...

I used the build sequence from
/usr/doc/kernel-source-2.2.10/debian.README.gz, which essentially was
"make xconfig; make-kpkg clean; make-kpkg (some other options); dpkg -i
(filename).

Firstly, I compiled the kernel with everything I wanted compiled in,
rather than as a module. This includes an NE2000 network card. In the
past (using the stock kernel-image packages) I have specified the IO and
IRQ for this in /etc/modutils/modconf. But since it isn't a module any
more, this won't work. Is there a way to specify this information when
NE2000 support is compiled into the kernel, or do I need to make it a
module? (I don't get any messages about NE cards when I boot up, and I
get "SIOC"something errors and "eth0: no such interface" errors later,
presumably in the init.d/network scripts)

Second, on bootup, I get messages of the form "xxx cannot find module
xxx" (this is approximate as I'm not in front of the machine right now).
The xxx's are the names of modules that *used* to be in my kernel, but
are now compiled in. I'm guessing that this is due to my conf.modules
file, which didn't appear to get changed during the upgrade. How can I
find out what is supposed to be there and what isn't?

Thank you for your help,
Stuart.