RE: why so much hate?

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Carley, Jason (Australia) wrote:

> I think that is a little harsh. I totally agree that everyone should read
> the docs. However, that does not create an excuse for unintuitive interface
> design. An app that is designed to cover new as well as experienced users
> should possess some form of self-discovery and an interface that works with
> the user.

You must understand that (in internet years) dselect is very old. Yes,
something else should be added for the average computer user suddenly
thrust into the role of sysadmin but dselect is still a powerful tool for
the power user and until something else comes along that does as good a
job, I will continue to use it for many things.

gnome-apt and apt-find just don't cut it yet.  I can update packages in
dselect, enter the select menus, see at the top of list which packages
were new or updated, browse the packages descriptions as I "down-arrow"
through them selecting any that might be interesting.  It is NOT a proper
choice for an installation tool. I IS a VERY good choice for a maintenance
tool.

> To be honest, I believe that dselect is a very difficult programme to use
> for persons new to debian (but not linux) like myself. And I have no fear of
> text-mode apps, I just prefer them to have better user interfaces. I think
> this can probably be done without compromising the power of dselect.

I agree. dselect takes practice ... lots of it.