RE: why so much hate?

I think that is a little harsh. I totally agree that everyone should read
the docs. However, that does not create an excuse for unintuitive interface
design. An app that is designed to cover new as well as experienced users
should possess some form of self-discovery and an interface that works with
the user.

To be honest, I believe that dselect is a very difficult programme to use
for persons new to debian (but not linux) like myself. And I have no fear of
text-mode apps, I just prefer them to have better user interfaces. I think
this can probably be done without compromising the power of dselect.

This is all just part of the feedback process, Debian must clearly continue
to develop and be enhanced. If that means a better dselect then surely that
is a good thing?

Regards,

Jason.