E2fs failures

Hello,

recently I detected problems with 2GB harddisk in an old 486 machine.
The disk worked for two years very well.  I tried several checks
under DOS including a check routine from Quantum (it's a Quantum
Bigfoot disk) and Calibrat (from Norton Utilities).  No DOS check
program detected any error.

Repartinioning with Linux fdisk and creating e2fs worked well
but after writing data to the disk and unmounting leads to
more errors than I could count.  E2fsck is unable to repair
the problems.

Any idea what could cause this strange problem?

Kind regards

       Andreas.