Re: getty vs minicom

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

>According to Andrew MacIntyre:
>> As I was used to agetty and minicom cooperating nicely on an
>> ancient Slackware box, I expected this to work on this much more
>> recent Debian box <sigh>.
>
>That is because that worked with the cua/ttyS devices (kernel based
>locking between dialin/dialout) which has officially been deprecated
>by the linux kernel developers.

Thanks for the explanation.

>> I use mgetty at home, but didn't really want to have to deal with
>> its complexities for the situation at hand.
>
>Complex? Mgetty? mgetty -s 38400 /dev/ttyS1 ?

Complex because I used the fax enabled version - it didn't sink in
that there was a package without the fax support.

>> The situation's more or less under control, so I won't worry about
>> the problem further, although I was disappointed not be able to
>> find the getty source package.
>
>Source of both agetty and mgetty is available on all debian mirrors.

Could you tell me where then please.  AFAICT, getty is packaged as
base/getty, however such a package appears not to exist, either
source or binary.  mgetty I found w/o any probs.

BTW apologies if this message appears poorly formatted - I have
attempted to manually format it but the web-based mail interface I'm
using appears to not respect explicit CRs in a paragraph :-(

Regards,
Andrew MacIntyre
<andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au>