Re: KDE: can't connect to X server

On Sun, Jul 18, 1999 at 12:54:22PM -0700, Nate wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 18, 1999 at 12:00:29PM -0700, G. Crimp wrote:
> > 	Is there an ftp site where I can get the debs for kde and qt (with
> > matching version :)).
>
> You can get qt1g (which is qt-1.4) from the following...
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/slink/non-free/binary-i386/
> libs/qt1g-1.40-1.1.deb
              ^^
	I know about this version of qt, but kde 1.1 wants at least 1.42 and
the deb you point out is only 1.40.  I tried it anyway, forcing dpkg to
overlook the 'needs qt1g (>= 1.42) whereas installed qt1g is only 1.40'.
Not surprisingly, since the kde site explicitly states that 1.42 is the
minimum for kde 1.1, once everything was installed, it wouldn't fly.

	potato has a qt version 1.44.  As far as kde 1.1 is concerned, that
is OK.  But the deb package of qt 1.44 depends on higher version of some of
the slink libraries, plus a library or two that don't exist in slink.  I'm
afraid of upgrading the existing libraries and adding new ones from potato
for fear of breaking my slink setup.

 	I'm not having any trouble getting ahold of the kde debs.  The
problme is finding a deb of a version of qt that is suitable for the version
of kde available in deb package form.

	Does anyone know of a qt*1.42*.deb anywhere ?

	Thanks again,

	Gerald