Re: Mail prgs (exim)

Well, that is because exim (nor sendmail, smail, etc.) does not "do"
POP2/3 (or IMAP).  The MTAs (exim, etc.) use SMTP or the UNIX pipe
to process mail.

To pick up mail from an ISP when you are an "intermittent" connection
calls for a protocol such as POP and that function is supplied by
another program such as fetchmail.

Be sure to look at the ISP-HOWTO as this document does an excellent
job of explaining the basics of how all of these protocols work and
what has to happen... and why.

Saying that your are "on DHCP" "And ... PCMCIA" and "not on a ppp-based
connection" is something like saying that "I walk to work but do not
eat carrots"!

_Some_ ISPs _might_ grant you SMTP service for _delivery_ of messages
to you but I suspect that in your situation they probably will not.
The problem for the ISP is that 1) you do not always have the same IP
address and 2) if you are not running 24/7 then your mail can be delayed
or rejected just because your machine was not available at the instant
that the ISP tried to deliver (rejection would require a number of
occurrence).  Intermittently available computers are a "royal pain"
for ISPs when trying to use SMTP to deliver.

I suspect that with dynamic addressing the ISP would also have to do
some "rather exotic" configuring and probably "give up" some safety
features built into most MTAs.