stop gnome-session to record xterms?

Hello,

i have the folowing problem: i can't log graphically on my computer unless i
log into it on the console and edit the .gnome/session file by hand, because
it is full of calls to xterms in a way that lets the windowmanager crash
before the setup of the windowmanager is complete, blocking the console for
about 5min, wihtout any chance for me to get a hand on it....

further since the windowmanager doiesn't recored where the xterms where they
all clutter on the first virtual screen, this is buggy a mess and far from
what i want....

now reading the gnome doc, the control center is supposed to regulate this,
but as it seems this is a rare case where the documentation is ahead of
reality.....

so is there a way to stop gnome-session to record the session, or be able to
use gdm without starting a gnome session? Thats another bug, i wanted to
introduce gdm also on our server, but since this thing enforces use of gnome
for all users its quite useless.... not everyone wants the big overhead of
gnome....

--
ciao bboett
bboett@earthling.net