Re: Setup Issues

On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 10:00:40PM +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> First Problem:
>
> I have a Debian 2.1 installation I intend to use purely as a gateway /
> router (Intel Pentium 100 / 16Mb / 170Mb HDD) to the point where it will
> dialup OK, tells me         "Starting pppd at blah blah blah" ..... then
> stops at a blinking cursor and doesn't seem to respond further

The "blah blah blah" might be helpful.  Also what does /var/log/ppp.log
report?

> I tried opening another terminal (or whatever its called) with Alt-F2 and
> trying to get lynx working ..... it said it was trying to contact
> "blah.blah.blah but gave up after a bit.

Try pinging "ping" using the address of a known site (the actual numeric
address, not the name).

> Second Problem:
>
> What file does one edit to put proxy settings (this box doesn't have  X ) ??

What program are you trying to proxy?

> Third Problem:
>
> Other than using the three finger salute, how does one disconnect in
> terminal mode

Disconnect from what? You disconnect from the internet with "poff"  You exit
from a terminal by typing "exit".  You shutdown your machine with "shutdown
-h now".

--
Ray