Setup Issues

First Problem:

I have a Debian 2.1 installation I intend to use purely as a gateway /
router (Intel Pentium 100 / 16Mb / 170Mb HDD) to the point where it will
dialup OK, tells me         "Starting pppd at blah blah blah" ..... then
stops at a blinking cursor and doesn't seem to respond further

I tried opening another terminal (or whatever its called) with Alt-F2 and
trying to get lynx working ..... it said it was trying to contact
"blah.blah.blah but gave up after a bit.

My /etc/resolv.conf file is just

                                                    apana.org.au
                        nameserver        203.3.126.1
                        nameserver        203.3.126.3

What have I not done right ??

Second Problem:

What file does one edit to put proxy settings (this box doesn't have  X ) ??

Third Problem:

Other than using the three finger salute, how does one disconnect in
terminal mode

Fourth problem:

How does one find out how much free space left on a hard drive .... seems
nobody thought to include basic stuff like that anyplace I can find it

Fifth problem:

How does one tell just what stuff is installed (eg text editors) and what it
does .... especially since so most things have such weird names that one
can't readily tell what they do