Re: ppp/serial Help!

> Subject: ppp/serial Help!
> Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 00:00:08 +0100 (GMT)
> From: paul.walton@dial.pipex.com
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
> I`m fairly new to Linux and this is driving me mad.
> I have ppp as a loadable module, isapnp and setserial both set to
> /dev/ttyS2 0x03e8/0x3e8 irq 5. this works fine and detects my modem ok.
> I can dial in to my isp (using wvdial) the first time after a reboot but
> once i disconnect, and after a time lapse of a few minutes the serial
> port seems to reset itself (i`ve looked at "setserial -a /dev/ttyS2) to
> irq 4. In order to connect again i have to reboot. Does anybody know
> why this is. Please keep any explanations fairly simple :-)
>
> Paul Walton

I had this same problem. I think it's because the serial driver
automatically gets unloaded when it's no longer used, and then when it
gets reloaded, it's reset.

There are two ways I found around it:

1)  Add a line that says "serial" to your /etc/modules file, so that the
serial module gets loaded at startup and stays loaded.

2)  Recompile the kernel with the serial driver compiled in (rather than
as a module).

- Kris