ppp/serial Help!

I`m fairly new to Linux and this is driving me mad.
I have ppp as a loadable module, isapnp and setserial both set to
/dev/ttyS2 0x03e8/0x3e8 irq 5. this works fine and detects my modem ok.
I can dial in to my isp (using wvdial) the first time after a reboot but
once i disconnect, and after a time lapse of a few minutes the serial
port seems to reset itself (i`ve looked at "setserial -a /dev/ttyS2) to
irq 4. In order to connect again i have to reboot. Does anybody know
why this is. Please keep any explanations fairly simple :-)

Paul Walton