Re: Potato upgrade and Perl warnings...

On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 04:29:47PM -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 05:08:47PM -0500, Michael Merten wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 05:15:29PM +0100, Phillip Deackes wrote:
> > > Bob Nielsen <nielsen@primenet.com> wrote:
> > > =>
> > > => Using 'apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade' appears to be safer than
> > > => upgrading with dselect. The offending packages are held back and
> > > => netscape, etc., are not marked for removal.
> > >
> > > Ahh! I was wondering why I saw around four packages held back when I last
> > > upgraded. Thanks for that, too!!! Apt-get is truly remarkable.
> >
> > I'm too paranoid to use apt-get upgrade...  at least with dselect you
> > actually get so see *which* packages are getting upgraded/removed/etc.
> > I can't see how blindly using apt-get upgrade can be safer.  Anyone
> > that trashes their system with dselect really should learn to pay a
> > bit more attention to what they do.  :)
> >
> apt-get upgrade won't list which packages it wants to upgrade, but will
> list new packages, packages it will remove and packages held back,
> giving you a chance to exit before it actually does anything. With
> dselect, I kept going around in circles on the dependency/conflict
> resolution screens.
>
> If you are really paranoid, you can always run 'apt-get -s upgrade' to
> simulate what it would do.

Ok, I added the following to my /etc/apt.conf file:

APT
{
  Get
  {
     Show-Upgraded "true";
  };
};

I'll see how that works out.  I don't know, maybe I'm just wierd, but
I find the conflict resolution screens really helpful.  Maybe I've
just been using it long enough that I actually expect it to work the
way it does??

Mike

[I'm subscribed to the list, no need to CC: me on replys.]

--
Michael Merten (ironfoot@popaccount.com)
          ---> NRA Life Member (http://www.nra.org)