Newbie troubles: XF86Setup acts out strange

Hi Debians
The 'box spent most of last night downloading stuff from debian (I just said
yes to dselect's suggestions, in order to not meddle too much with
dependencies) after spending all afternoon getting my modem up & running. No
Problemo there. Wonderful program, apt is.
Now I'm really excited to start trying to use the damn thing for something,
but:
I figure I have to run XF86Setup to enable the X-stuff?!
When I do, I get: (something like) This may take a while.
After a short while, the screen goes light grey, first w/ stripes, then just
grey and a black bar ~1" down left side of the screen. Que Pasa?!
I think somewhere while installing packages I said yes to a SVGA option,
which I know my screen is capable of. Would this have anything to do with
it?! (I'm not even sure which program I was installing with this
option...guess I should have taken notes...)
Also: how do set up fetchmail to get my mail? I seem to have given the wrong
hostname when installing...
I tried looking in the man pages, but I didn't find it altogether clear on
what to do.
Think I'll go out and get a Linux-book tomorrow :-)
Best Regards and thanx
Vitux

Error is human; complete disaster takes a computer