Re: rxvt as default shell

r3chard@writeme.com wrote:
> Is there a way to have rxvt used in place of xterm in
> all instances?  I'd like to do the equivalent of symlinking
> xterm to rxvt but so that it won't get clobbered in a
> future update.

The most upgrade-proof approach to this, I think, is to use the
Debian 'update-menus' script (package 'menu' in Opt/Admin) and set
up custom menu definitions in your home directory (overrides are
unique to you) or in /etc (system-wide overrides).

Copy the contents of '/etc/menu-methods/' to '~/.menu-methods/'.
Edit menu.h in '~/.menu-methods/' so that term() refers to rxvt.
Run update-menus (as yourself).

update-menus uses scripts in /etc/menu-methods to create menus for
all your installed packages, based on definitions in (in decreasing
order of priority) ~/.menu, /etc/menu and /usr/lib/menu.  Most (all?)
window manager scripts in menu-methods include menu.h,
which defines behaviours including the default terminal
for use by menu entries that require one. So, changing 'term()' in
menu.h to reference rxvt rather than xterm will make it the default
terminal for all menu entries in all window managers when you
run update-menus.

There is an infinitely more lucid explanation of this in
/usr/doc/menu/html/index.html.

Hope this helps.
Brett