Re: modules - where to load them

On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 10:17:41PM +1000, Jason Carley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering whether there was a standard convention for which file to use for
> module loading.  I am not sure whether modules.conf or my startup script is the best
> spot for loading sound modules.
>
> How is this normally done?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jason.
>

> --

First, a nitpick. Please don't reply to existing messages to create a new
thread. Instead, send a new message to debian-user@lists.debian.org. Your
message appeared at the very bottom of an Amiga/Linux one.

To automatically load any modules at bootup,
Just list the modules you want loaded at the bottom of /etc/modules

Or, if you want sound modules to autoload when needed, put something
like this in /etc/modutils/sound (modifying for your setup):

alias char-major-14 sb
post-install sb /sbin/modprobe "-k" "adlib_card"
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=3 mpu_io=0x330
options adlib_card io=0x388
options sound dmabuf=1

and run update-modules. Voila! Whenever you need sound, the modules will
load, and when you don't, they unload themselves.
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com