Re: Fetch mail problems

On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 08:04:11PM +0200, Gary van Blerk wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've been using Debian now for about 2 years and still I am learning new things about it every day. I need some help with using fetchmail. I have a Debian server running sendmail. I have a  domain registered for mail only.
> user@ipandm.co.za
>
> I can fetch all the mail quite well from the server using fetchmail but the problem is that the mail is stored in the wrong mailbox. Whichever user executes fetchmail gets all the mail. How can I fix this so all the mail will be delivered to the seperate users? Can fetchmail recieve mail and deliver it to the users it was addressed to?
> If anyone has some info about fetchmail, maybe a HOWTO or something I would appreciate it.
>
> many thanks
> Gary

If I understand correctly, you're fetching mail from a multi-drop account,
and you want it sorted and delivered to the intended accounts on your local
server.

There are probably easier ways to do this, but I'd set it up so that fetchmail
was run as a particular user (maybe set up a special account for this) from
a cron job (or ip-up.d script, if your system is on a dial-up) and set up
a procmail filter for that user to forward the mail to the correct account
based on the To: (or some other appropriate) header.

HTH,
Mike

--
Michael Merten (ironfoot@popaccount.com)