Potato upgrade and Perl warnings...

I finally decided to try potato because I wanted an easy way of getting
the latest postgresql (6.5)...

I was running slink and used dselect to upgrade.

The biggest problem it seemed to find was a change in perl (DB1.85 ->
DB2).  It said something about using perl-5.004 to dump the DB1.85
databases and then reload perl5.005 or use db_dump185(1) and db_load(1)
in libc6...

What is this talking about?  I only have perl loaded on my system
because some other package required it.  I am not sure what databases
this is talking about.  Any ideas?

I have seen some references to using "apt" to install programs.  Which
method is the best for someone who doesn't play with this stuff very
often - dselect or apt?

Thanks,

Doug