Re: Aid requested

:-> "Dan" == Dan Smith <dyson_sphere_explorer@yahoo.com> writes:

    > Hey, can I get someone to sort of show me the ropes of
    > my new system, since the various docs are hard to work
    > with?  I'm pretty good with comps and programming, but
    > Linux/GNU and C are new to me, and I'm having a little
    > trouble figuring some stuff out.  Please reply
    > directly to me, I'm not subscribed to the list.
    > Thanx.
    > Fish.EXE

Ok, maybe you should ask more direct questions, anyway I'll try to
give you some clues.

Your Linux system sees your entire machine, including peripherals, as
part of a filesystem tree.

  /        = this is the "root" of your system, which contains only a
             few subdirectories and a couple of files, which on a
             Debian system are only symbolic links.

  /boot    = this contains the kernel of your system, that is the
             actual  OS

  /etc     = this contains all the configuration files for your
             machine. Please read the docs before messing with them.

  /bin and /sbin = these contain fundamental executable files, needed
                   to get the machine up and running.

  /lib           = this contains the fundamental libraries

  /home    = this is the space devoted to users

  /usr     = this contains the rest of the operating system files
             organized as such:

        /usr/bin and /usr/sbin = executable files
        /usr/lib               = libraries
        /usr/doc               = docs
        /usr/man               = man pages
        /usr/X11R6             = everything related to the graphical
                                 environment

The difference between sbin and bin is that files in sbin are meant to
be used by the superuser only.

This is enough by now :-)

Pf

 Pierfrancesco Caci  | mailto:p.caci@flashnet.it - http://gusp.infogroup.it
       ik5pvx        |         http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/8999
  Firenze - Italia   | Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
     Linux penny 2.2.10 #1 Tue Jun 15 21:03:12 CEST 1999 i586 unknown