Re: Re-installation

Hi Max;

Happy to hear that you got things working.

I can tell you that I have certainly "turned the air blue" a few times
while trying to do something with Linux/Unix (mostly with Unix come to
think of it).

One of the biggest and most frustrating things that you will likely
experience in the Linux world is that the documentation and the software
will constantly be "out of sync".  There are several reasons for this.
One is that documents such as the HOWTOs are a "snapshot" view of one
(or more) Linux distributions and Linux changes rapidly.  Another is
that all of the distributions differ from each other in various ways.

A difficult but often useful idea to keep in mind is that when reading
just about anything that purports to tell you how to accomplish some
task, it is the concepts that are most important.  The actual step that
should be taken may be handled in different ways by different distributions
and even by different releases of a particularly distribution.

Unlike another popular OS for the PC hardware, the biggest problem with
Linux is that there is a huge amount of documentation starting with the
ultimate authority -- the source code itself.