Re-installation

To All:  Btw, I finally did get my Debian 2.1.8 to re-install.  It was,
as some of you suggested, a problem involving the proper initialization
and mounting of dev/hda5.  It seems that when you have another OS on hda1
(DOS drive C; bootable), as I do, and three Linux partitions with only
hda2 (root) and hda3 (swap) designated as primary (with hda5 as an
extended), you must depart from the default installation sequence in
order to properly mount /usr on hda5.
    At any rate, when I did that, the little sucker finally installed the
base system.  Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
    So, now I'm back to the problem of my modem.  Oh, well.-- Max