Bleeding edge install: mysql, perl (also apache)

Hi folks,

I'm trying to install Apache, PHP3 & MySQL on a potato system.  I'm
getting some weird dependancy problems, which I cannot seem to get
around.

Currently I have:
 $ dpkg -l *perl* *mysql* *apache* |  grep -v ^[up]n
 Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
 ||/ Name            Version        Description
 +++-===============-==============-============================================
 ii  libdbi-perl     1.12-1         The Perl5 Database Interface by Tim Bunce
 ii  perl-5.004      5.004.05-1     Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and Report
 ii  perl-5.004-base 5.004.05-1     The Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister
 ii  perl-5.005      5.005.03-2     Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and Report
 ii  perl-5.005-base 5.005.03-2     The Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister
 ii  perl-5.005-doc  5.005.03-2     Man pages and pod docs for Perl
 ii  perl-base       5.004.05-1     Fake package assuring that one of the -base
 ii  libmysqlclient6 3.22.23b-3     mysql database client library
 ii  mysql-doc       3.22.23b-1     mysql database documentation
 ii  mysql-manual    0.95-1-1       MySQL Manual in HTML format
 rc  apache          1.3.6-11       Versatile, high-performance HTTP server
 rc  apache-common   1.3.6-11       Support files for all Apache webservers

When I try to install mysql-client, I get:
 # apt-get install mysql-client
 Reading Package Lists... Done
 Building Dependency Tree... Done
 or been moved out of Incoming.

 that package should be filed.

   mysql-client: Depends: libdbi-perl but it is not installed
 E: Sorry, broken packages

... but notice that I have libdbi-perl installed!!

Furthermore, when I attempt to install apache, I get:
 # apt-get install apache
 Reading Package Lists... Done
 Building Dependency Tree... Done
   apache-common perl perl-5.004-doc
 The following packages will be REMOVED:
   perl-5.005 libdbi-perl perl-5.005-base perl-5.005-doc
   apache-common perl apache perl-5.004-doc
   0 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 4 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
   Need to get 0B/3049kB of archives. After unpacking 6238kB will be freed.
 Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

... at which point, I say `n', because I need the libdbi-perl package
(and therefore, the perl-5.005 packages that libdbi-perl depends on).

I could probably force the install of the mysql packages, but I would
still be left with apache's install problem.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
David

P. S.  Just in case it matters:
 $ dpkg -l apt dpkg
 Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
 ||/ Name            Version        Description
 ii  apt             0.3.11         Advanced front-end for dpkg
 ii  dpkg            1.4.1.3        Package maintenance system for Debian Linux

 $ uname -a
 Linux pluto 2.2.5 #1 Sat May 1 02:57:30 EDT 1999 i486 unknown

--
David H. Silber

  For custom software, see:                http://www.SilberSoft.com/
  Palm OS / Linux Documentation:          http://www.orbits.com/Palm/