Instalation decisions

I have a Debian 2.0 disk (installs kernel 2.0.34) and am wondering if it would
be best to install that, and then upgrade from the web or purchase the latest
book and disk.

My first time on an AMD K6 200, on a second 2Gig HDD.  The machine has win 98 on
a 6gig Hard disk and i will wan to be able to dual boot.

I have also been considering a purchase of Caldera.  While I am attracted to the
Debian open principles the Boot Magic and Wordperfect suit also appeal.

How hard is it to install from one distribution and then develop the setup using
bits from all over?

Walter