Re: Compaq Presario 1245 Touchpad interface problems

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, jesus duran wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > I just got the new laptop, and have been quite satisfied with it, except
> > when it comes to X...
> >
> > The primary problem is that I must configure X for a serial mouse, because
> > I don't know what device and port to pick for the touchpad. Am I out of
> > luck, or is there a working choice available in XF86Setup?
>
> if its the synaptics touch pad just treat it as a ps/2 mouse and X should
> treat it fine.... (i have the pres 1680, so i'm assuming a few things
> here;))

It _is_ the synaptics toch pad, but I get strange results from gmp.

When I "configure" gmp, and choose ps2 and /dev/psaux, the mouse works
during the "test period" but doesn't work after the configuration exits.
Any ideas?

>  >
> > While I'm at it, does anyone know how to get the graphics card into any
> > other mode but the "super low res"? I can only see about 10% of the
> > screen, and I can't scroll. Is this also the best I can do?
> once again i'm making an assupmtion that your pres has a version of the
> neomagic video card found in most of the compaq laptop products  so here
> is my config file where i can get as decent a resolution as possible ( i
> forget the website that had the initial work on it)

/proc/pci report the card as "Neomagic MagicGraph NM2160 (rev 1)"

When I use your config file, it hangs with a grey screen. The last line
reported by the server is:

(--)SVGA: Generic Speedups Selected (flags=0x30)

and nothing more occurs.

If I stroke the keypad during this phase, I get lots of graphic "splatter"
on the screen (stacked lines of blue, green, and white, with small black
separators that move and twitch as I stroke the mouse, so, I guess the
mouse works ;-)

> let me know how it works out....

Thanks for all the help...

Waiting is,