Installing potato off the net

Hi,

until about a week ago I had a small box (amd 386dx40 w/ 16mb, 1.2gb)
serving my network, providing internet connectivity and so on, but due
to my fault (nothing to do with the dist, which is really great) the
installation (hamm+slink mixed) is hosed in a way I think reinstalling is
the less time consuming option.

I want to go with potato now and tried installing off the net, but failed.

I downloaded the installation disks for potato (the same as for slink)
and installed as usual. When dselect came up, I switched to another vt,
configured PPP and tried to update dpkg/apt via apt. I do not exactly recall
what specific error it was, but I ended up with a broken glibc2.1,
as it depended on libstd++ (or something similar), or vice versa, and one
wouldn't install. dpkg --configure --pending didn't fix it and I was stuck.
I intended to do an "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" after an
successful dpkg/apt upgrade.

Basically, as my connection is really slow, I want to switch to potato as
early as possible in the installation process (which basically installs
slink, as these are the slink disks).

So, all I need to know, is if one can safely switch VTs at this stage, leave
dselect alone without installing anything through it, i.e. with just the
plain base system installed, and upgrade manually, or do I have to perform
some kind of really small installation via dselect, finish it and then go to
potato via apt-get dist-upgrade later on (which would mean downloading the
same stuff again, just with a .01 version number increase)?

The less Megabytes I need to fetch, the better, as each one really hurts
using this connection. :-/

Any help appreciated.

--

 thomas.                                .powered.by.debian/linux.
                                       irc.:.#chatgate, #frust.ger