Re: automagic ftp sessions?

As usual, there is more than one way to do things in Unix/Linux...

Have you looked at cron?  (man cron)
crontab -l lists any current cron job schedules and
crontab -e allows you to edit the crontab (cron table).

Basically, you would write a script to do the ftp operation,
mark the script as executable using chmod, and then make a
crontab entry to schedule execution of the script when and
as often as you desire.