Re: debian-user split

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 09:14:04AM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:

> Newsgroups seem to get overwhelmed by off-topic posters, probably
> because it's easier to subscribe to a group than sign up for and deal
> with a mailing list.

OTOH, with a lot of mailing lists you don't even need to subscribe :-( .
A lot of the "hiding" effect can be obtained by using a private server,
but that can be very slow and somewhat defeats the point of using news.

> I noticed those linux.debian.* newsgroups.  They seem to be rarely
> frequented.  How did that whole 'linux.*' hierarchy get started anyway,

linux.* consists of gated versions of various mailing lists (including
this one).  IIRC posting is not allowed there - it's read-only.  If they
are deserted it's probably more to do with poor or nonexistant
propagation to your site than anything else.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/