sound - debian performs well but one prob, no sndstat

Hi guys,

I have just compiled a 2.2.10 kernel and run isapnp under debian slink and
it has all worked perfectly unlike my previous attempts under other dists.
The cards initialise and the modules will load manually (have to learn how
to have that happen auto). However, For some reason /dev/sndstat doesn't
exist on my system whereas the dsp and audio devices do. Is this due to me
not having installed the slink default kernel sources or something else?

I tried to find the shell script in the /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound
directory and a readme file there mentions the script at the end of the file
but it isn't there? What is the best way to create the file if I can't find
the kernel script?