Re: Bind

On Tue, 06 Jul 1999, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> >> "Brian" == Brian Schramm <schpage@pagesz.net> writes:
>
> Brian> I am using one machine to run Debian 2.1.  I do not have a
> Brian> network but I want bind to handle caching of DNS inquires.  I
> Brian> am doing this so I can use the sendmail genericstable and
> Brian> virtualtable and convert my addresses to the ones I want to
> Brian> have everyone use for replys.
>
> I don't know sendmail, but I doubt it is necessary to have a running
> bind to do address rewriting. This is completely unrelated.
>
> Brian> My problem is now if I am not connected to the net, everything
> Brian> stops when I send a message.  I have not changed my sendmail
> Brian> configuration yet to vurtual hosting so I cannot see where that
> Brian> is the problem.
>
> Brian> I installed the bind package with no forwarding so it is in
> Brian> caching setup.
>
> So where does your bind gets it's info, if you didn't specify
> forwarders (= hosts to ask for entries it doesn't know = your ISP's
> DNS servers)? It tries to ask the root servers.

I thought forwaders where for a local network.  That is why I did not put any
in.

> I believe you have a misconception about the thing you want to setup
> and solve. What should your bind cache, and where does it get this info
> from? Where did you read about this bind <-> addressrewriting
> connection?

I got this from the sendmail.org web site.  It clames that you need it running
in order to do vurtual hosts and address rerouting.  I have tryed to do it
without setting up a bind server and it totally ignores the address changes so
I am adding the bind server to see if they are right.