Re: debian-user split

*- On  7 Jul, Jonathan Sharp wrote about "Re: debian-user split"
> On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Brian Servis wrote:
>
> I thought I should add my comments to this subject.  I can appreciate that
> a newbie list is not disirable since it would be newbies leading newbies,
> but at the moment there is so much activity that I don't have time to read
> the 100 odd articles that come to this list per day.  If I'm away for a
> few days then it's just way too much.  This means that I probably would't
> get down to answering many newbie questions since I'm being very heavy
> handed on the delete key after only reading the subject.  I'm not going to
> offer any opinion either way, but I think I'm going to have to unsubscribe
> and try the digest list, since I just don't have time.  Now to add my
> opinion: after a year and a half of use I finally got round to reading
> most of the instructions for trn.  Now I've got the hang of kill files,
> I'd prefer to see more people use the news groups instead.  Since I'm new
> to these lists, is there a big feeling for mail groups instead of news
> group?

I'll answer both your concerns with one common statement.

1) Use the list archives if the list is overwhelming.  It is searchable
   and you can view it in several different index formats.

2) Use the list archives to find the newsgroup vs. maillist topic which
   has been discussed many times before. The general consensus is no to
   newsgroups.

--
Brian