Re: Thanks

>Mmm, Buy a Linux book download the debian users guide and print it.
>Turn your PC off.
>Go sit in a chair and relax and forget the past.
>Read the users guide from A to Z and from Z to A.
>Several day's or weeks later you turn your pc on.
>And you will see, debian isn't  that difficult.
>
>Oh, yeah buy new cd's
>
>Hang on
>
>Cuno

To all-- I have 2 Linux books, and before I even began I downloaded and
printed the the users guide, GNU Installation guide, and the Debian
Tutorial.  Maybe I'm just slow. :-(  I got my Debian GNU Linux 2.1 CD's
from Linux Central.  The first CD does the base installation, and the
second contains the modules for the initial dselect.  Halfway thru
dselect, you have to change back to CD #1.  (There's no prompt on that;
you're just supposed to figure it out.)
     Also, I don't think my bios (Trident TVGA Bios C3.01) was equipped
for PnP in the first place.  At least I can't find anything about PnP in
the "setup" CMOS listing.  (I assume that's where one goes to alter the
BIOS.)?  My modem isn't a Winmodem; it's a Diamond Supra 288i SP.
There's no sign of it on the Equipment HOWTO list of unsupported modems.
     Here is something interesting, however.  One of the info pages I
read said that because of problems with multiport boards, my version of
Slink configures only ttyS0 and ttyS1 unless you edit 0setserial to do
otherwise.  Maybe my modem would be detected if I set up all four ports.
Anyway, thanks to Cuno for the tip on the ./0setserial command.  I'll try
it when I get some time.
     Finally, I think I may have the answer to my installation problem.
(Thanks to Jesse). I have hda2 (root), hda3 (swap) and hda5, with the
first two being primary partitions and the third an extended partition.
Maybe I need to deviate from the default installation sequence in order
to fully initialize hda5.  This would make sure that I have /usr mounted
on that partition.  Without that mount-point, maybe the installer finds
no place to put the base system files extracted from the CD-ROM-- hence
the file error.  ???  I'll find out.  Later-- Max