Re: Thanks

maxalbert@juno.com wrote:

> To All-- Thanks for the feedback, and my sincere congratulations to those
> of you who've mastered the intricacies of Debian.  For years I've been
> hoping to find an OS that would get me out of Windows, and I had high
> hopes Linux might be it, but all I have to show for scores of hours is
> the immense frustration I earlier expressed.
>      After running setserial and wvdial, disabling PnP, and many other
> efforts, I finally, to overcome the system's refusal to detect my modem
> (Diamond Supra 288i SP), attempted to re-install (grasping at straws),
> but now it tells me "there was a problem"

Back where I once worked, we used to laugh at a programmer who had
written a program that gave the message "Some error has occurred" with
no other info!  Of course, you must remember that if the programmer had
had an idea that a particular problem would have occurred (or time to
think it through), he probably would have avoided it in the first
place.  That's why, in my opinion, error messages are often cryptic.

> extracting the base system
> files from the CD-rom, so re-installation has failed and I have nothing
> for weeks of effort.-- Max

Gosh, you sure got a lot of answers that didn't address your specific
problem!

When you do the reinstall, you'll probably need to reformat your hard
disk partitions. There are options in the install menu to do all this
stuff.  I've found that a reinstall often has problems when there are
already existing files.  I'd be surprised if your reinstall didn't work
over clean partitions, since it worked the first time.

I have done many "useless" Debian installs of this type.  Most folks on
this group probably have, but they have learned the right magic to do
(like reinitializing the partitions) without even thinking about it;
that's why it's hard to give advice sometimes.

You'll be glad to know that your system will be pretty easy to maintain
once it's up and running.  That's one really great part about Debian, as
far as I'm concerned.

Keys for the future (after the install):

(1) apt-get install is your friend on installing new or upgraded
packages.

(2) Don't be afraid to rebuild your kernel with make-kpkg to get it to
do what you want.

(3) Learn about fstab, inittab, and the files in /etc/init.d (and if you
think that's hard to understand, you should see the way RedHat does
it!).
Out, damned spot!
Out, spot, out!
      -- Shakespeare for First Grade