Re: Thanks

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 03:04:45AM -0400, maxalbert@juno.com wrote:

> To all-- I have 2 Linux books, and before I even began I downloaded and
> printed the the users guide, GNU Installation guide, and the Debian
> Tutorial.  Maybe I'm just slow.

My guess is that maybe you're just trying to absorb a bit too much all at
once.  For the moment I'd put aside everything but the Debian Install Guide.
Once you get the system back on it's feet you can move on to other things.

:-(  I got my Debian GNU Linux 2.1 CD's
> from Linux Central.  The first CD does the base installation, and the
> second contains the modules for the initial dselect.  Halfway thru
> dselect, you have to change back to CD #1.  (There's no prompt on that;
> you're just supposed to figure it out.)

The next time you install you might want to just do the "Basic" install (I
think that's what it's called, it's 35MB or so).  That way you won't have to
wait for hundreds of packages to install and you can always go back into
dselect later and add stuff.

>      Also, I don't think my bios (Trident TVGA Bios C3.01) was equipped
> for PnP in the first place.  At least I can't find anything about PnP in
> the "setup" CMOS listing.  (I assume that's where one goes to alter the
> BIOS.)?  My modem isn't a Winmodem; it's a Diamond Supra 288i SP.

I know that modem can be made to work.  If it is a PnP modem (reguardless of
your machine's bios) then you will want to use the ISA PnP tools to
initialize it.  One thing that seemed a bit odd is that you say your modem
is on com2 but most PCs come with built in serial ports at com1 and com2 so
an internal modem usually has to be at com3 or com4 unless you disable the
built in ports first.  What is the output if you run:

/etc/rc.boot/0setserial?

--
Ray