Re: I/O error on /dev/dsp and /dev/audio

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 08:40:39AM +0200, Jens Ritter wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, G. Crimp wrote:
>
> > Ah ha.  The kernel log reports the following:
> >
> > 	kernel: Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
> >
> > give me any more help with this.  I have read the sound HOWTO and the isapnp
> > docs, but when it comes to reading the pnpdump file I find it pretty
> > bewildering.  As I mentioned in my initial post, the fact that I had this
> > working on a Deb 1,3 system was more good luck than anything else.  The
> > pnpdump output often says to choose only one of a selection, but I am never
> > sure which one to choose, nor in fact which of several lines constitute a
> > single choice.  Here is the output from cat /dev/sndstat:
> >
> [...]
> > Card config:
> > Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 0,1
> > Roland MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 12 drq 0
> > 6860 UART Midi irq 11 drq 0
> > (SB MPU-401 at 0x800 irq 5 drq 0)
> > OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0
> [...]
>
> Make this match with you kernel config and the isapnp config.
> Have a look at /proc/dma (when all modules are loaded).
> I am not sure what the "()" around SB MPU have to say.
> Check in the sound howto or in the kernel sources.
>
> HTH,
>
> Jens

	I'm still stuck with this.  I went over the Sound-HOWTO and the
isapnp docs again and then tried to reconfigure the sound card and recompile
the kernel sound support.  I thought I had this licked, but I still get the
I/O errors on /dev/audio and /dev/dsp.

	If anybody understands sound and hardware registers, etc, better
than I do, I would sure love a hand with this.  I have included the pnpdump
file which I edited to use as isapnp.conf, and the relevant bits from the
kernel .config file in case anyone can spot what i am doing wrong.  I've
tried a number of different combinations and nothing seems to work, which is
frustrating since I had this working first go round on a bo (1.3) box.

	Here are the files,  Thanks in advance.

---------------------- isapnp.conf ----------------------------
# $Id: pnpdump.c,v 1.1.1.2 1998/01/07 05:17:47 fred Exp $
# This is free software, see the sources for details.
# This software has NO WARRANTY, use at your OWN RISK
#
# For details of this file format, see isapnp.conf(5)
#
# For latest information on isapnp and pnpdump see:
# http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/
#
# Compiler flags: -DREALTIME -DNEEDSETSCHEDULER -DNEEDNANOSLEEP
#
# Trying port address 0203
# Board 1 has serial identifier 27 ff ff ff ff 68 18 73 16

# (DEBUG)
(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE)
(IDENTIFY *)

# Card 1: (serial identifier 27 ff ff ff ff 68 18 73 16)
# Vendor Id ESS1868, No Serial Number (-1), checksum 0x27.
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 1.0
# ANSI string -->ESS ES1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive<--
#

# Logical device id ESS0000
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE ESS1868/-1 (LD 0
#     Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#         Minimum IO base address 0x0800
#         Maximum IO base address 0x0ff8
#         IO base alignment 8 bytes
#         Number of IO addresses required: 8
 (IO 0 (BASE 0x0800))
 (ACT Y)
))
#

# Logical device id ESS1868
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE ESS1868/-1 (LD 1

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       First DMA channel 1.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
 (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
#       Next DMA channel 0 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
 (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 0))
#       IRQ 5.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
 (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
#       Fixed IO base address 0x0220
#             Number of IO addresses required: 16
 (IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
#       Fixed IO base address 0x0388
#             Number of IO addresses required: 4
 (IO 1 (BASE 0x0388))
#       Fixed IO base address 0x0330
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
 (IO 2 (BASE 0x0330))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       First DMA channel 1.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
#       Next DMA channel 0 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 0))
#       IRQ 5, 7, 9 or 10.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0220
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0240
#             IO base alignment 32 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 16
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
#       Fixed IO base address 0x0388
#             Number of IO addresses required: 4
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0388))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0300
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0330
#             IO base alignment 48 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 2 (BASE 0x0300))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       First DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))
#       Next DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 0))
#       IRQ 5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 12.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0220
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0280
#             IO base alignment 32 bytes
[...]

#             Maximum IO base address 0x0ffe
#             IO base alignment 2 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 2 (BASE 0x0800))

#       Start dependent functions: priority functional
[...]
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0ffc
#             IO base alignment 4 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 4
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0800))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0800
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0ffe
#             IO base alignment 2 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 2 (BASE 0x0800))

#     End dependent functions
 (ACT Y)
))
#

# Logical device id ESS0001
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE ESS1868/-1 (LD 2

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Fixed IO base address 0x0201
#             Number of IO addresses required: 1
 (IO 0 (BASE 0x0201))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0200
#             Maximum IO base address 0x020f
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 1
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0200))

#     End dependent functions
#     Compatible device id PNPb02f
 (ACT Y)
))
#

# Logical device id ESS0002
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy

(CONFIGURE ESS1868/-1 (LD 3

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       IRQ 12.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
 (INT 0 (IRQ 12 (MODE +E)))
#       Fixed IO base address 0x0168
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
 (IO 0 (BASE 0x0168))
#       Fixed IO base address 0x036e
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
 (IO 1 (BASE 0x036e))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       IRQ 10 or 11.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 10 (MODE +E)))
#       Fixed IO base address 0x0168
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0168))
#       Fixed IO base address 0x036e
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x036e))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       IRQ 10, 11 or 12.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 10 (MODE +E)))
#       Fixed IO base address 0x01e8
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x01e8))
#       Fixed IO base address 0x03ee
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x03ee))

#       Start dependent functions: priority functional
#       IRQ 10, 11 or 12.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 10 (MODE +E)))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0100
#             Maximum IO base address 0x01f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0100))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0300
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03fe
#             IO base alignment 2 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0300))

#     End dependent functions
#     Compatible device id PNP0600
 (ACT Y)
))
# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)

# Returns all cards to the "Wait for Key" state
(WAITFORKEY)
------------------------ end isapnp.conf --------------------------

--------------------- excerpt from kernel .config ----------------
[major snip]