Re: I/O error on /dev/dsp and /dev/audio

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, G. Crimp wrote:

> Ah ha.  The kernel log reports the following:
>
> 	kernel: Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
>
> give me any more help with this.  I have read the sound HOWTO and the isapnp
> docs, but when it comes to reading the pnpdump file I find it pretty
> bewildering.  As I mentioned in my initial post, the fact that I had this
> working on a Deb 1,3 system was more good luck than anything else.  The
> pnpdump output often says to choose only one of a selection, but I am never
> sure which one to choose, nor in fact which of several lines constitute a
> single choice.  Here is the output from cat /dev/sndstat:

[...]
> Card config:
> Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 0,1
> Roland MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 12 drq 0
> 6860 UART Midi irq 11 drq 0
> (SB MPU-401 at 0x800 irq 5 drq 0)
> OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0
[...]

Make this match with you kernel config and the isapnp config.
Have a look at /proc/dma (when all modules are loaded).
I am not sure what the "()" around SB MPU have to say.
Check in the sound howto or in the kernel sources.

HTH,

Jens

P.S.: Please vote against Spam! At
             http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
(Sorry Europeans only)
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37