Re: Thanks

> Jesse-- Actually, I am installing entirely from the Debian 2.1 CD-ROM.  I
Where'd you get the CDROM?  Sounds like the copy of base2_1.tgz on the CD
is busted.

> installation procedure onto Linux hardrive partitions hda2 (root), hda3
> (swap), and hda5.  Everything works fine until I get to the "install base
> system" step, which begins ok, but does not complete.
I'm assuming you select the option that asks the install program to search
for available installation locations,  and then accept its offering.  What
does it come up with here?

> Instead, I get a file error message saying "There was a problem
> extracting files... " End of show.
I'd suggest this:

download
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/base2_1.tgz
(this is the base system it's trying to extract) and put it on your hard
drive, say in C:\linux\ .  Mount the hard drive on /dos with this sequence
of commands (select the "execute a shell" option in the install)

mkdir /dos
mount -t msdos /<device><partition number> /dos
exit

then tell the "install the base system" option that the base system is in
C:\linux\base2_1.tgz, and it should install ok.

If that doesn't work, grab 7 floppies (yeah, this sucks), and download
base14-*.bin from the same ftp site, and burn each of them onto a floppy
(see
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/ch-install-methods.html#s-install-all-from-floppies)
for more info on how to do this)

... and install from the floppies.

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |
|    PGP Public Key:  http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/index.html#pgpkey    |
|         And if you hold on tight to what you think is your thing       |
|                you may find you're missing all the rest ...            |
|	         - Dave Matthews,  "Best of What's Around"               |