Re: Thanks

I've been using debian for less than a year, and I came to it with good computer
knowledge, but very little *nix knowledge.  I must say, I wouldn't have the slightest
clue where to begin to set up a modem, and I can't stand the  cd's I burnt (the
debian.org one's)  but each time I have to reinstall I gain a world of understanding
as to what's going on with the OS.  I think I'm currently on my 4th or 5th install on
this machine.  I've also installed it on a gateway laptop, a sony vaio laptop, and a
bunch of other desktops, all with no problems.  I should point out though that all
this was off the base floppies, then the net, and not cd's, I think that makes
everything a lot easier.  I've been just as frustrated as anyone working with debian,
and my friends who are veterans of linux just told me to RTFM before I even knew what
that meant.  But only a few months later I have windowmaker-gnome running, I can
listen to mp3's, use netscape, corel, aol-IM, icq, play movies, basically everything
I did in windows save burning CD's (I have xcdroast and it starts burning then screws
up, some scsi errors).  Now I have a system that I reboot only when I want to.  My
point is that the pain in the ass of getting everything working really is good in the
long run, if you have to muck around and ask people questions, you are forced to
learn how everything works.  Then when you need to fix/change something you at least
already know where to look.

I put together a system for my girlfriend, and this will be her first computer.
I regret not making her install everything and deal with the problems, because it
will take her much longer to learn the OS than if she had done it herself.

-Aaron Solochek
 leko@cmu.edu

That being said...  Can anyone point me to, or give me a detailed guide to using
dselect and multi-cd?  I've tried using both the first and second cd, and I use
"scan"  for all the questions it asks.  Then when I update,  it returns error status
1, complaining about Packages.cd.gz then "zcat:  stdin:   not in gzip format"  as
I mentioned earlier, this was off the debian site.