RE: Just my opinion

OK well I can probably help a bit with the install part but you may have to
post to the rest of the list for the more detailed networking questions.

It sounds like your system is trying to start an Xserver for a graphical
login and can't get the server running.  So please confirm you have no
Xwindows running at all?

If so, when installing debian you need to request a command line login (not
graphical) and go from there.

You may need to update the Xwindows system to version 3.3.3 to use your
graphics card.  When you are answering all of the install questions you
should set the default xserver to XF86_VGA (the most basic but compatible)
or XF86_SVGA (for higher resolutions on generic cards).  You should say no
to all other Xservers.  Do you know what sort of chipset your card has.  You
say it is a miro something. Is that compatible with any model like TNT or
Matrox etc?

I think it highly unlikely that you have stuffed you BIOS with the debian
install. As to lilo, it can be hard to set up .  Please send me your
/etc/lilo.conf and your partition details and I will try to help. In the
interim use a bootdisk.

Regards,

Jason Carley.